
Our journey really began all the way back in October of 2005. After about 6 months of "trying", we decided to consider some fertility testing. Another 6 months went by before we decided to move forward with Dr. Peter Weeks. If my dad heard me say to someone, "Yeah, we've been trying for about a year; it gets frustrating", he would say "Trying...They're Trying... Geez, quit complaining! You know how much I wish mom and I were TRYING??!!". He's good for lightening up a situation.Time went on, and one fertility procedure would lead us to the next, and we had our ups and we had our downs. When I was feeling sad, Christian would pick me up and the opposite was also true. When all else had failed, and another year had passed, Dr. Weeks recommended us to see a fertility expert. We met Dr. Michael Zinger who reviewed our medical history and suggested we consider In Vitro Fertilization as our next step. We were anxious about this, as it seemed like the last resort for us to conceive together, and it was difficult to hear that this was our best option- already. We thought about it, and knowing how badly we wanted to be parents together, there really was no doubt we would take this step. After a few months of ovary stimulating medications, I went in for an egg retrieval on October 20, 2007. They took 20 eggs (I felt like a hen). In the end 5 of them accepted fertilization (yes- half me, half Christian!) and survived 5 days of observation in the lab. On October 25th, they brought me back and transferred 2 embryos back into me and froze the other 3. That's when things became complicated for us. After some more ups and downs, and some unfortunate events, we decided to take some time off to heal- both physically and emotionally.

No comments:
Post a Comment